"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Monday, September 10, 2012

"No Poo" during Pregnancy: Hair Update

Hi there friends! It is good to be back after a bit of an impromptu break. Life has been super busy here at our home. We are settling in nicely though, and excited to get to work and see what God has in store for us here in Houston.

Today I am going to give a you an update on how my "No Poo" method of washing my hair is going while experiencing all the wonderful hormonal changes that pregnancy brings. If you are unfamiliar with what the "No Poo" method is check out my 30 Day No Poo Challenge and try it for yourself! It has been one of the easiest and best changes I have made in my beauty routine.

When I first started research the No Poo method I read about one blogger who had a rough time using this method during her pregnancy due to the hormonal changes you go through. Since starting this method my hair has changed for the better drastically! I beyond love the results I have had. So I was a bit nervous about what would happen to my new found and extremely loved method now that I was baking a new little one.

Thankfully during my first whole half of pregnancy I did not notice any difference at all. No Poo was still working wonders for my hair. It didn't appear as though hormones were causing any changes whatsoever! Woohoo! I am not sure if I was just lucky with this or what, but I wasn't going to complain.

I have however, recently experienced some problems. I can't quite figure out if they are hormone related or related to the fact that we moved and the water here is different. My hair has felt a bit more grimy/straw like, and it has also been extremely static. It is kind of hard to explain the texture, but it definitely is not experience I was having before.

I started doing some research to figure out what in the world was going on with my hair. After some reading the problem could be with our water being too hard. I read that if you have a problem with hard water to first boil the water that you are going to mix with your baking soda. You can rinse with regular water but boil the water that is going into your baking soda container. So that is what I am currently trying. I haven't noticed a huge difference though, so I am leaning toward this may be related to pregnancy.

If you are experiencing any weird problems with using the No Poo method The Pistachio Project gives a great troubleshooting list with possible problems and answers. As I was reading through her list I noticed that the mousse I have been using in my hair may not be completely washed out using my no poo method. However, I have been using this same mousse the whole time so it wouldn't make sense to have a problem with it now. But I figured it is worth a try to cut it out of my routine.

So right now I am doing some experimenting. I am going to go for a while with out using any product in my hair and simply washing with my baking soda/ apple cider vinegar mixture. I may end up having to temporarily find a natural shampoo alternative until after this babe is born. I tell you all of this to say...we all go through different seasons in our lives. What works for us at one time may have to be tweaked or adjusted later. That is okay! If you are experiencing some difficulty with the No Poo method check out the troubleshooting list I posted above. She gives lots of different problems and solutions. Hopefully after this pregnancy my hair will stop going crazy so I can return to my beloved No Poo Method.

And any suggestions on a good natural shampoo that I could use in the mean time would be greatly appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...