"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

In previous posts, I have been sharing with you all how I am adding new colors to my living room. I have previously felt very restricted as to the colors I could use, due to the fact that my couches are a dark hunter green and our big chair is a huge red and green floral print.

We recently got rid of the huge red and green chair and temporarily replaced it with a brown recliner (my sister and brother-in-law purchased it at a thrift store the last time they were in town and had no way to get it back home with them, so we are hanging on to it until they can get it).

Now, the big chair also had a matching ottoman which I decided to keep since it was still in really good shape.

Here it is...



Now it matches great with our green couches...but not so much with the new color scheme I am trying to give the living room.

I have seen tutorials previously where people make their own slip covers for chairs, couches, ottomans, etc. So I decided to give it a try and....



I am very pleased pleased with how it turned out!

To make one of your own all you need to do is...

1. Pick your fabric. I happened to have this great upholstery fabric that my mom gave me a while back that I decided to use. I think a thicker fabric does work best for this project as opposed to just cotton, but you can go with whatever fabric makes you happy.

2. Measure the length and width of the top and sides. Add about 1/2" to each side to allow for enough seam allowance and a hem on the bottom. If you cut your fabric to the exact measurements of the ottoman it will be too tight and not fit properly.

3. Cut out fabric to measurements above.

4. Pin fabric right sides together. The easiest way to make sure seams line up is to pin it together while it is on the ottoman. Like so...



(This pic shows after I had sewn it together...but you get the general idea.)

I also found it easier to sew two opposing sides on first and then pin on the other two.

5. Hem the bottom.

6. Finish off any inside seams so they do not fray if you decide to wash.

7. Try it on your ottoman, and stand back to admire your work.



The new cover goes so much better with the new color scheme! Plus I love that I can take the slip cover off and throw it in the wash!

Hopefully the steps were not too terribly confusing and you can make one easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...